Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Editor's note: wiggle vs. wriggle

Today I learned the difference between "wiggle" and "wriggle." Interestingly, wiggle can mean wriggle but wriggle never means wiggle. Here are their verb forms from Webster's 10th:
1: to move to and fro with quick jerky or shaking motions: JIGGLE
2: to proceed with or as if with twisting and turning movements: WRIGGLE
1: to move the body or a bodily part to and fro with short writhing motions like a worm: SQUIRM
2: to move or advance by twisting and turning


Jeff said...

Thank God there's someplace I can bitch about this. I'm glad you have a link to Brians' Common Errors in English, which means I never want to hear you rag me about style like "Brians's"! He agrees with me! How dare you allow the ugliness to proliferate--and get paid for it!

Next we'll duke it out about styled punctuation following a styled word...another day.

Anonymous said...

Hi There I'd like to thank you for such a great made forum!
thought this is a nice way to introduce myself!

Johnie Maverick
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=]star wars Party Supplies[/url].