Thursday, November 09, 2006

Writing Prompts for Seniors

Every Thursday I saunter down to Washington Square North where I teach a writing class for senior citizens. It’s with a mixture of joy and resentment that I teach this class: old people are pretty unruly, and all seem to think very highly of their own opinions. The best part of the class, though, is when I dole out writing prompts and see what they come up with. Below are some of the ones I’ve gotten the best responses from.

1. Describe a moment when someone said “I love you.”
2. Describe a favorite toy from your childhood
3. Of all the bedrooms you have ever had, which was your favorite?
4. Write about the traits you got from your mother.
5. Describe what your father did for a living and how it affected you.
6. What does love taste like?
7. Who taught you how to drive? Describe your experience.
8. Have you ever been in a car accident? Describe the situation.
9. Describe what your hometown or neighborhood was like when you were growing up.
10. What was your favorite Halloween costume you ever wore?

No comments: