Saturday, May 05, 2007

Like a ditzy, low self-esteem Rhoda

I don't really know what to say about the huge disappointment that was Thursday night's Grey's Anatomy/Addison spinoff. And it's gotten bad reviews everywhere (the NY Times has a particularly apt one that blames Ally McBeal). But why is everyone so disappointed? What did we expect out of a network TV spinoff? I guess what upsets me is that Addison Shepherd (oh, sorry, Montgomery) was a truly likable character: she had brains and balls and wasn't afraid to go after what she wanted, even though crappy things have happened to her. I thought a spin-off with her as the main character could be the beginning of a one-hour drama that didn't show women as zany and sex-crazed. I thought it was cool she was going to have a baby on her own. Then she got into the elevator and it starting talking to her...and it wasn't Lorenzo Music. Sigh. When is Rhoda coming to DVD?

No comments: